1913 - 2015
Macedonia Baptist Church was organized under the leadership of Rev. F.K. Skinner, November 1909. The Actual Church building was located on the south end of Pine Street just before reaching what is now Interstate 10. The congregation soon purchased a small plot of land on Gladys Street, and in 1913, completed construction of a new church building built primarily with used Lumber from the surrounding area. The cornerstone was laid in September of that year by Rev. Skinner, Trustees B.W. Williams, John Shelton and a host of other church leaders.
Rev. Skinner served as Pastor for approx. 25 years until the Lord called him home.
Shortly after Rev. Skinner’s death, around 1935, God blessed Macedonia with Rev. N.E. Taylor as Pastor. Rev. Taylor served the church approx. 7 years before being called to Pastor a church in San Diego, California. Macedonia once again found its self without a leader, but the membership never stopped praying and in 1942, Rev. James Davis, an associate Minister, (who kept the church together with his loyal and
devoted service) was called by the members to be the next Pastor.
Rev. Davis served as leader for 32 years. At the end of Rev. Davis Tenure, Rev. Melvin Mc Farland became Pastor serving two years, and in 1976, Rev. H.W. Williams became Pastor. Rev. Williams came to Macedonia with a vision to make improvements to the interior of the building of which the members accepted and worked faithfully to accomplish.
In February 1988, Rev. R.L. Bishop was installed as Pastor by Rev. W.H Ward. Under Rev. Bishop’s leadership the church has continued to grow. The congregation is working together, praying together and most importantly growing together as a family. Rev Bishop told the congregation to keep the faith and God will provide all our needs. Rev. Bishop’s vision for Macedonia has always been to play a role in keeping our local community safe and aware of the gift of the Gospel. From his installation in 1988, the membership has worked tireless to remove crime, and the influence of drugs from Gladys Street.
That vision became reality when the church started purchasing adjacent properties and tearing down drug infested buildings. Macedonia now owns properties north, south, east and west of the building. We will strive to honor God with our best in all we do in order to fully understand apply and proclaim the practical and constant truths of GOD’s Word! On May 11th 2015 Rev. R.L. Bishop was called home after 28years Macedonia was left without a pastor. A committee was formed and a Pastor was chosen in November 2015. Rev. Albert Rhone became the new leader of the Macedonia Missionary Baptist church.